Welcome back from the weekend! I hope you enjoyed the beautiful waning summer weather and together as a family. Last week was a great week of learning as classrooms built classroom culture, learned about each other and got settled into their learning routines.
Some highlights include:
- Our Kindies started their gradual entry and we look forward them being her full time this week
- Several of our classes started their outdoor programming already! Ms. Finnie’s and Mrs. Bonikowsky’s classes were already out in the neighbourhood on walking tours and exploring the local environment
- Some great social emotional learning in all our classes as students learned how to manage their emotions, ask for help, and build positive friendships. You can see an update from Ms. Chernenkoff’s class here: https://southnelson.sd8.bc.ca/blog/building-classroom-connections
- Cross Country running and student council are up and running (no pun intended!) thanks to Ms. Douglas. Students can still see her to sign up.
- We had our first PAC meeting! Thank you to so many parents who came out. It was great to meet you and hear about the great things that are planned for the year. My principal report is on the PAC webpage. Minutes will follow and will be posted shortly.
A few reminders for you:
- School fees –Thanks to everyone who has already paid their school fees of $40. If you haven’t, please do as soon as you can. This can be paid cash, cheque, or debit in our office. Alternately (and more conveniently!) you can pay online. If you need some support with this, please contact me directly.
- Volunteer packages – Thanks to so many of you who have already submitted volunteer applications. If you have not already done so, you can come by the office to pick one up or access it online.
- Traffic – Traffic around the school in the morning is quite dense. Thank you for being watchful as you drop and pick up your children from school.
- On Hendryx street – Please watch for busses and park closer to Latimer after the yellow cones.
- On Latimer – Please watch for pedestrians, bikes and busses
Some upcoming dates (you can also find these posted on our calendar)
- Sept. 22 Planning day – NO SCHOOL for students
- Sept. 29 – Truth and Reconciliation assembly (9:30am) – Parents are welcome to join us!
- Oct. 2 – Truth and Reconciliation stat holiday – NO SCHOOL
- Oct. 9 – Thanksgiving holiday – NO SCHOOL
Finally, some family learning!
- As you help your kids adjust with going back to school, you may find this article helpful: “Back to School: How to Promote Resilience and Set your Kids up for Success”. There are some great suggestions in here such as “connect before you direct” after school, helping your child name big emotions, and debriefing with a star and a wish.
- More transition support and heath resources can be found in the attached Health Promoting Schools newsletter.
That’s it for now. Have a wonderful week and don’t forget – no school on Friday!
Dawn Snell | Principal
South Nelson Elementary School
School District 8 Kootenay Lake