Weekly Update - 07Jan22
Good day out there, South Nelson Community.
Pictured this week is part of our South Nelson recycling team, led by Ms. BenRabha, which collects mixed paper from all areas of the school each Tuesday morning, removes & analyzes all contaminants, and meets me at the outside locked recycling bin. SN's process has been a pilot project for SD8 in order to overcome obstacles that had developed over time in school commercial recycling. Thankfully, we have our program up and running very smoothly and this has also influenced other schools to develop their own processes to move forward again with district recycling.
Next up for SN is to test out one or two versions of dealing with compostable materials, starting in Mrs. Lehnert's classroom. In the meantime, please continue to have your children pack out what they pack in that cannot be recycled/composted as residential recycling is much more flexible than commercial recycling.
Last week I also came across 'terracycle' - https://shop.terracycle.com/en-CA - and am wondering if anyone else in our community has experience with this program, or anything similar. I will be looking further into the free recycling programs at https://www.terracycle.com/en-CA/brigades?_gl=1*m3mvr6*_ga*MTM0Mzk4MDI3LjE2NzMxMTI5MDI.*_ga_11ZNDD9PJ2*MTY3MzExMjkwMi4xLjEuMTY3MzExMjk5OC4wLjAuMA.
To the details...
- SD8 & SN website calendar. Note that not all SN events listed below are on the website calendar.
- Student Council meetings - Mondays at lunch.
- Liam Fitzpatrick of Circle of Indigenous Nations Society at SN in each classroom - January 10 & 11.
- Musician in Residence project term 2 begins - January 12.
- Mrs. Bonikowsky's class at Rail Trail - January 12 morning.
- Aboriginal Education Drum-Making - January 13.
- Professional Development Day, no school for students - January 16.
- South Nelson PAC meeting in school library & online - January 17 at 6:30. Meet incoming SN Principal, Jann Schmidt. Microsoft Teams link to be sent out prior.
- January learning updates published to MyEdBC parent portal - January 31.
- PAC Hot Lunch
- Please see flyer attached to weekly update email. Runs from January 17 - March 17. Contact Mr. Rude for available financial support.
- Thank you to our Lunch Program Coordinator for sourcing out whole grains for this round of lunches so that we are in compliance with BC Healthy School food guidelines!
Take care & have a great weekend!
Dan Rude - Principal