Saturday, October 9th, 2021
Good day out there, South Nelson. Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!
This month's reflections from the classroom for our Superintendent's Report come from Mrs. Chernenkoff's class. Thanks, Janis!
Mrs. Chernenkoff's grade 2/3 class has been learning about connections with/to self, others, and our country. Terry Fox had a dream to cure cancer. Terry was just one human determined to make a difference. His legacy lives on. In the story, 'The Little Hummingbird' by Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas, there was a huge fire and one little bird was determined to make a difference. We are one class, and we are exploring and learning about the many ways we can make a difference...one story, one discussion, one sharing circle and one connection at a time.
To the details for this week and beyond...
- SD8 & South Nelson digital calendar - https://southnelson.sd8.bc.ca/events/calendar
- Foundation Skills Assessments (non on website calendar) for grade 4's start at South Nelson the week of October 18th. I will send the schedule to all grade four families next week.
- October 22 - Professional Development Day - no school for students.
- Safety Drills (not on website calendar):
- Fire Drill - October 20
- BC Shakeout! Earthquake Drill - October 21
- Lockdown and Hold & Secure Drills - moved from October 5 to October 28 due to staff being away on October 5.
- November 1 - Professional Development Day - no school for students.
- Phot Re-Takes - November 3 (non on website calendar yet).
- Food Supports
- If you would like to access food supports for your child(ren) or are aware of anyone in challenging circumstances who you think could use support in this area, please contact me at email@example.com. We have snack food availalble throughout the days, some funding to pay for lunches, and grocery bags of non-perishable food for home through the 'Backpack Buddies' program.
- If your child has a cell phone, please speak with them about being sure that they are kept away at all times from when they arrive to school until they leave the property at the end of the day. If there is a need to make contact with parents in between arriving and departing, we are happy to help in the office.
Dan Rude - Principal
South Nelson Elementary School