Saturday, October 2nd, 2021
Good day out there, South Nelson Community.
Lots of details this week, but first I want to recognize our kids and adults for the work we are doing together to move forward the important work of Truth & Reconciliation. I had the opportunity to visit each class this Wednesday afternoon with Ms. Long and was amazed at the beautiful depth of the conversations. It is evident that classrooms and families are taking this on thoughtfully, through stories and reflections, and in a way that is not overwhelming to the kids. Thank you for that! I also want to thank those who supported me in taking the time this week for a four-day course in Compassionate Leadership Systems with a group from across the world, online and based out of MIT. I will be continuing to digest this rich personal and professional learning experience (and my 18 pages of notes and drawings) and am grateful to be able to join in the ongoing work being done through a global network in support of taking on the significant challenges we face while also not getting stuck in their complexity – and our associated emotions.
To the details…
- Updated Provincial document for K-12 settings, with the biggest change being mandatory mask-wearing indoors for all students and adults in K-12 schools, starting this coming Monday. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/administration/kindergarten-to-grade-12/safe-caring-orderly/k-12-covid-19-health-safety-guidlines.pdf
- K-12 Daily Health Check - https://www.k12dailycheck.gov.bc.ca/healthcheck?execution=e1s1
- SD8 COVID-19 Resources - https://www.sd8.bc.ca/covid-19
- Lockdown and Hold & Secure Drills at South Nelson on Tuesday, October 5th at 9:00 with the support of our Safe Schools Coordinator.
- SD8 & South Nelson digital calendar - https://southnelson.sd8.bc.ca/events/calendar
- School Supplies Fees are due for all students - $40 per student, payable through https://southnelson.sd8.bc.ca/pay or by contacting Laura our office to arrange for payment.
- SD8 Code of Conduct & Appeals Bylaws are online and to be shared with the school community each year.
- SD8 Halloween Expectations from Superintendent Smillie - Halloween Expectations Letter 2021.pdf (sd8.bc.ca)
- Diversity & Inclusion in Your Life, taught by local educators Chelsey Gooden & Sandy Prentice - October 28 at 7 pm on Zoom. Learn how to incorporate anti-racism principles in your everyday life. For Teens and Adults. Email Melodie Raeat email@example.com to register.
- Nelson Minor Hockey Intro to Hockey for Girls initiative - https://southnelson.sd8.bc.ca/announcement/girls-hockey
Take care, everyone.
Dan Rude – Principal
South Nelson Elementary School
We acknowledge, respect and honour the First Nations in whose traditional territories the Kootenay Lake School District operates and all Indigenous people residing within the boundaries of School District 8.